Professor Kaplan’s research focuses on analyzing and decrypting the digital world, in particular the areas of social media and artificial intelligence. With several seminal articles and + 40,000 citations on Google Scholar, Professor Kaplan has been counted among the worldwide top 50 business and management authors according to John Wiley & Sons. Furthermore, broadly covered Stanford study recognized Kaplan as one of the world’s top-cited and impactful scientists. Professor Kaplan has teaching experience in top-tier schools and universities such as Harvard, Sciences Po Paris, and Tsinghua University.
Professor Kaplan has fifteen years of leadership experience in the higher education sector. He has served as Rector and Dean of ESCP Business School, Sorbonne Alliance, in Berlin and Paris, and as the School’s Provost, where he was responsible for 6,000 students and nearly 30 degree programs across the institution’s six campuses throughout Europe. Previously, he acted as the School's Director of Brand and Communications, and was elected Head of the Faculty's marketing department. Kaplan is particularly interested in the future of education impacted by digital transformation, increased competition, and reduced public funding, and is the author of "Higher Education at the Crossroads of Disruption: The University of the 21st Century."
He regularly acts as keynote speaker and presenter at academic and non-academic conferences, seminars, and workshops. His work is featured in various national and international press and media outlets such as the California Management Review, Financial Times, Harvard Business Review France, La Tribune, La Repubblica, and the Süddeutsche Zeitung. His activities as advisor and consultant for a variety of corporations and organizations evolve around the aforementioned topics.
Kaplan did his Habilitation at the Sorbonne and his Ph.D. at the University of Cologne / HEC Paris. He holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from the École Nationale d'Administration (ENA), an MBA certifcate from ThePower Business School, an MSc from ESCP Business School, and a BSc from the University of Munich. Additionally, Prof. Andreas Kaplan was visiting Ph.D. at INSEAD and participated in the International Teachers Programme (ITP) at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.
Artificial Intelligence and Social Media
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2020) Rulers of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of artificial intelligence, Business Horizons, 63(1), 37-50.
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2019) Siri, Siri in my Hand, who is the Fairest in the Land? On the Interpretations, Illustrations and Implications of Artificial Intelligence, Business Horizons, 62(1)
- Kaplan A.M. (2012) If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4, Business Horizons, 55(2), 129-139.
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2010) Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media, Business Horizons, 53(1), 59-68 (Science Direct’s annually most downloaded paper out of ~ 13.4 million articles).
Higher Education and Business Schools:
- Kaplan A.M. (2022) Digital Transformation and Disruption of Higher Education, Cambridge University Press.
- Kaplan A.M. (2021) Higher Education at the Crossroads of Disruption: The University of the 21st Century, Great Debates in Higher Education, Emerald Publishing.
- Kaplan, A.M. (2018), “A School is a Building that Has 4 Walls - with Tomorrow Inside”: Toward the Reinvention of the Business School, Business Horizons.
- Kaplan, A.M. (2018) Academia Goes Social Media, MOOC, SPOC, SMOC, and SSOC: The digital transformation of Higher Education Institutions and Universities, in: Bikramjit Rishi and Subir Bandyopadhyay, Contemporary Issues in Social Media Marketing, Routledge.
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2016) Higher Education and the Digital Revolution: About MOOCs, SPOCs, Social Media and the Cookie Monster, Business Horizons, 59.
- Pucciarelli F., Kaplan A.M. (2016) Competition and Strategy in Higher Education: Managing Complexity and Uncertainty, Business Horizons, 59.
- Kaplan A.M., ed. (2015) European business and management (Vol. I-IV), Sage Publications Ltd., London.
- Kaplan A.M. (2014) European Management and European Business Schools: Insights from the History of Business Schools, European Management Journal, 32(4), 529-534.